Tuesday, December 25, 2012

What If...............







C-H-O-I-C-E..................that seems to be the buzz word for today's society.  We should have a right to choose if we want to work or live off the government.  We should have the right to choose to own a firearm or make it illegal.  We should have a right to pray in government buildings (i.e. schools) or to forbid it.

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE TO GIVE LIFE TO HER UNBORN CHILD OR MURDER IT THROUGH ABORTION.


What If.............what if Mary had chosen a different path for her pregnancy?  She was promised to Joseph as a wife.  Some say that's the same as our modern day engagement.  However, in the culture of that time, it was much more far-reaching.  A woman promised to a man was already considered married to the man, yet without the sexual element of marriage.  She was to keep herself pure until the official marriage ceremony had been performed.

A woman who CHOSE to do otherwise, brought shame to her husband-to-be, to her Father and family, and to herself.

This is the second act of the Christmas play performed at our church last weekend.  Very thought provoking and written by a lady in our congregation, Marta Hazelgrove.  


MARY ENTERS OFFICE, SITS IN CHAIR.  
THEN DOCTOR COMES IN.
(A doctor and Mary are sitting in an “office”.)
Doctor: Mary, I’m so glad you came to us in your time of trouble.  Please don’t be embarrassed.  You aren’t the first girl to find yourself in this position.
 Mary: My friends told me you might be able to help me.
 Doctor: Of course we will help you.  You’re young.  Single.  The man you are betrothed to is not going to want you anymore.  Your family will probably disown you.  If you carry this baby to full term, you will be ostracized.
 Mary: All of that is true.  But I don’t know how you can help me.  Can you find a place where I can hide until the baby is born?
 Doctor: Oh, no.  No.  We can do something better than that!  We can make this problem go away.

 Mary: Go away?  How can you make a baby go away?
 Doctor: It’s a wonderful, new thing we can do now.  We can just make this baby go away.  AND, we can do it with the government’s approval.  It’s a win-win for you.
Mary: But you just said you couldn’t put me away until the baby is born.  Oh no! You’re talking about murdering my baby after it’s born?
 Doctor: Well, Mary.  Actually what you are carrying is not even a baby.  It’s just a blob of tissue.
Mary: What?  A blob of tissue?
Doctor: Yes.  Just a blob of tissue.  And we can make this blob of tissue go away before it’s even born.  It’s something called an abortion.
Mary: An abortion.  It sounds so……ugly.
Doctor: Oh no, Mary.  It’s an amazing thing.  Just a little procedure and poof!! The blob of tissue is gone.  And you will be free after that, Mary.  FREE!! Free to go on living your life.  And no one will ever have to know about it.
Mary: Wellllll….. I don’t know.  I don’t think I could do something like that.
Doctor: Mary, be sensible about this.  Don’t let your emotions cloud this issue.  Think of this blob of tissue like you would a tumor.  It’s not like you would be getting rid of a living thing.  You wouldn’t leave a tumor in your body, would you? 
Mary: Of course not….but…..
Doctor: Why don’t I leave you alone for a while to think about it?  You’re a sensible young woman.  Don’t bring a child into this world when you can’t even care for it.  Think about it, OK?  I know you’ll do the right thing.  And think about this – it’s YOUR body and YOUR choice.


Mary sits quietly and thinks (head down). 
A voice off-stage quotes Bible verses about the sanctity of life.

“For I know the thoughts
that I think toward you, says the Lord,
thoughts of peace and not of evil,
to give you a future and a hope.” 
(Jeremiah 29:11)
“For You formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother’s womb. 
I will praise You, for I am fearfully
and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well. 
My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in
the lowest parts of the earth. 
Your eyes saw my substance
being yet unformed. 
And in Your book they were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them. 
How precious also are Your thoughts t
o me, O God! 
How great is the sum of them!” 
(Psalm 139:13-17)

MARY SHAKES HER HEAD….LEAVES ROOM
CHOIR SINGS:  MARY WAS THE FIRST ONE TO CARRY THE GOSPEL

What If..........this is a long way from the 'God box' most of us have.  It is, however, something to consider.  What if Mary had chosen abortion?  Where would mankind be without Jesus Christ------WITHOUT HOPE!
May your Christmas be warmed by His love and enlightened by His light.  May you know the joy of knowing Him and being surrounded by your family.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOURS!


7 comments:

Mrs. Mac said...

This is an amazing analogy .. how wonderful your church put on this 'play'

Pat said...

My prayer is that many will read this, even if they don't leave a comment, their hearts will be awakened.
Thank you for sharing, it makes my eyes fill with tears of the hope we have because Mary was obedient.
Thank you God for your Son!

Terry said...

dear diane..i have been thinking about you so much the last few days and i was so glad that mrs. mac has directed the sisters over here...what a blessing this post has been to me in cheering my spirits....i love you diane..love terry

Felisol said...

Mary was courageous for her time, and so was Joseph, who did not leave her. What a faith among the silent of the country.
Psalm 139 is my psalm too. It's kind of an inscription over my life.
The poor young generation, who seem to have all and yet are deprived of it all.
I pity them, I pity us who turned done killing into a natural right and even art.

Crown of Beauty said...

what a wonderful Christmas post this is! Mary indeed had the faith and the courage. Beautiful Christmas story.

Trish said...

What a wonderful perspective on a Christmas program! Mary did have a choice as do we all...I choose life and Jesus Christ!!!
I love you Di, praying for strengthand peace for you and Miss Gladys.

Margie said...

Wow!!!!! Blown away by this.

Just thinking obedience is better than sacrifice!!