Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Trinity of One

For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor;
no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.
Psalm 84:11


In my previous post, I invited you to come along with me as I introduce you to Jesus Christ, the sinless Savior.  In order to properly understand who Jesus is, you must understand who God is.  You may have heard God referred to as "the triune God" or "the God-head".  You may have also heard the term 'trinity' in reference to God.  Although the term trinity is not found in the Bible, the concept is clear in Scripture.  There are three separate and distinct persons of God.  They operate individually and each has an individual purpose in eternity.  However, each is uniquely and divinely God.

In Genesis 1:26 we find the following: "Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness..." So, humans were created by God as a triune individual...mind, body and spirit. We are one person with three parts; each part is necessary in order for us to function in the capacity for which we were created.  The Gospel of Matthew names the persons of the triune Godhead: “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:” (Matthew 28:19). In these Scripture references, we see God the Father (the mind of God), Jesus Christ as God the Son (the embodiment of God) and the Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost as God the Holy Spirit (the spirit of God), to whom Jesus referred as the Comforter.

So, just who is God the Father?  Genesis 1:1 introduces us to Elohim, a reference to God's power and might.  He was there before creation and will remain after all things temporal are past, from everlasting to everlasting.  (Psalms 90:2)  In Revelation 1:8, He is the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the ending, the One who was, who is and and who is to come, or the Almighty (Gen. 17:1). 

Other names of God include eternal God and dwelling place (Deut. 33:27); a God who sees (Gen. 16:13); our guide (Ps. 48:14); the Redeemer of Israel or the Holy One of Israel (Is. 49:7), I AM (Ex. 3:14); a jealous God (Ex. 34:14); our judge, lawgiver, king and savior (Is. 33:22).  For a more indepth look at the many names of God, please visit this link:  http://www.smilegodlovesyou.org/names.html .

If we accept God the Father as the God head and we understand his numerous names, then we are compelled to learn more about his character if we are to trust him. I will go into the characteristics of God in my next post.  I urge you to take your own Bible and run the Scripture references. 

If you have questions or comments, please feel free to leave them in the "Comments" section.  If you feel you can and want to add anything to what I am saying, please leave those comments as well.  Should I choose to use your suggestions, you will be given credit in the post for which they are used.  I look forward to our next 'meeting' and sharing and learning more about our awesome God!

2 comments:

Trish said...

It is so good to have you back my precious friend!
These posts have touched my heart and the Scripture....Psalms 116:15,
Precious in the sight of God is the death of His saints. Wow! I say them often when I find myself missing my Daddy. They have given me the strength to go on without him.
I love you!

Samantha said...

Always love to read your posts Diane.
You are such a blessing to me,
I so admire your strength and faith.
Praising God today for you and for all of my many blessings !
Love you !!
Samantha