Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Life's Surprises



For the past couple of days, the grief has been heavy on my heart and spirit yet again. I know this is normal and have learned to work with the grieving process instead of against it. Still, it is so very painful.




Again, I was so overwhelmed with loneliness and missing my dear husband that I could feel depression hovering over me like a heavy thunderstorm about to erupt. I went through all the stages of crying, being angry, bargaining with God.....it goes on. However, in a short while I did realize what was happening and I began to pray that the Lord would let me rest and would deliver me from the throes of this pain.



Then, something absolutely unexpected and hilarious happened. A precious teenage cousin has graciously accepted me as her friend on Facebook. She posted new pictures of herself and her new beau. I commented that he was a cutie, but I suppose she thought him to be a hunk, huh?



Today, this so sweet young girl sent me a message.....'what is a hunk'?!!! Do ya suppose I'm showing my age girls?! I laughed until I cried and nearly had to make a quick trip to the necessary room! I've got to get out more and get back among teens! I don't want to turn into an old lady!


As though the Lord hadn't already fulfilled His promise to me, I went to check the mail expecting to find the usual daily paper, various catalogs, magazines, BILLS and just what I call 'File 13' mail. But, to my great surprise, what did I find? An envelope from a cyber friend who lives in Florida. I opened the envelope to reveal the cutest hand made package and enclosed was a beautiful charm bracelet with a charm attached with my nickname, 'Di', on it! Now, can you get any better than that?! I was more than thrilled and surprised beyond belief!




What turned out to be a sad and lonely day, the Lord quickly turned into a day of laughter and joy, with an exciting surprise attached! Isn't that just like God?!




Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Psalms 37:4

I tell you the truth, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy.
St. John 16:20

7 comments:

Marie Anne said...

I'm so glad to know that you allowed your day to turn around for you. It's such a joy to see that smile on your beautiful face!

Constance said...

God is good, all the time! He knows when we need a boost and he uses whatever means to make it happen!

Just a question, not that I am an expert:

Are you in grief counseling?

By that, I am not implying anything negative whatsoever. It's just that in our church, we have a ministry called "The Healing Place" and they have Christian counselors who help people through the grieving process, addictions, abuse, trauma and so on. I was in Counseling many, many years ago when my 2nd husband walked out on me and the girls and left me "holding the bag". It really helped me a lot with what I was dealing with.

Hugs,
Connie

Samantha said...

He always knows what we need and when we need it, this was such a sweet gift from your friend, what a blessing ! God loves you and so do I !

Pat said...

This just put a big smile on my face and in my heart - God is ALWAYS on time in supplying our needs.
God bless your precious friend who sent the gift and your sweet cousin. I would have no idea what to call him either. Try hottie!

bj said...

Hi, Diane..it makes me very happy that you were able to see these nice things are coming from God. It's when people don't recognize HIS handiwork that I begin to worry.
Bless your sweet self...it has been a hard time for you. I pray for your comfort and strength as I know how much you need it.
If I only lived closer...I would call and invite you to go have lunch with me today. As it is, the "girls" and I are meeting today to eat and play a few hands of cards....I will think of you, sweet one.
xo bj

Deb said...

You mean it's not okay to call someone a "hunk"? Gee....maybe we all need to get with the program, eh? :)

What a blessed day you had...Jesus turning your mourning into dancing! And as Pat says...He's always on time!

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

I am so glad God helped you through your day hon. He is so good to us !