Thursday, March 5, 2009

Thankful Thursday

Diane, Charlotte and Debra--1962

I am a member of an online group of wonderful Christian ladies who love and support each other through thick and thin. We pray for each other's needs and celebrate each other's victories. Every Thursday, we practice celebrating "Thankful Thursday". In honor of my Pennies, I have made today "Thankful Thursday" on my blog.


Charlotte, Debra and Diane--1964

I have so much to be thankful for in my life. Today, I have chosen to tell you about my sisters, for whom I am thankful every day, but never more than since the loss of my dear husband. They have stood beside me, loved me, prayed for me, cried with me and for me; they could have nothing more for me than they have. I will never be able to love them back enough to adequately appreciate all they have given me.


Diane, Charlotte and Debra--1961

This is one my most favorite pictures EVER of me and my sisters. I'm not really sure why, maybe because it was before I had concerns or responsibilities or cares of this world to make my heart heavy. It was all carefree because Momma and Daddy would take care of everything; nothing for me to worry about.

(Back Row, L-R) Ricky, Caleb, Jared holding Allyson and Brian

(Center Row) Charlotte and Katie

(Front Row) Alix, Jacob and Jaden

This is the middle sister, Charlotte, who is the mother of Katie and her three wonderful brothers, Jared, Jacob and Caleb. She also has three precious grandchildren, Alix, Jaden and Allyson. Allyson is the daughter of her oldest son, Jared. She is a Postmaster Replacement in her town and is married to Ricky, who is a minister and also is an electrical inspector for the State of TN. They have an incrediably busy life, but still find the time for family, making trips to Iowa as often as possible. Ricky takes an annual missionary trip to Ecuador and is a member of the Volunteer Fire Department in their town and is a member of the School Board in our county. I have always admired Charlotte for her quiet personality. She has the ability to love those around her without judgment, yet with appropriate expectations that they live up to their potential.

Adam, Debra and Dwade

Debra is the youngest living sister. She is the mother of Adam and is married to Dwade. Debra is the Dept. Mgr. for paper products at a local supermarket and is a chashier as well. Her husband runs his own business as a green-oriented logger, using horses for pulling the cut logs from the woods so as to incur as little damage as possible to standing timber. He also works at a local company, Thyssen-Krupp, as a machine operator. They are extremely involved in their church and commit a large amount of time to the ministries of the church. They also have my Dad living at home with them. After Momma passed away, Debra and Dwade bought the family farm and moved there. It allowed Daddy to continue to live where he is comfortable and feels at home. Debra is extrememly soft hearted and tends to take on the burdens of those around her. I pray she someday will have the grandchildren she so desperately desires.

Diane as an infant--1957

Everyone says Joyce looked like me.

The youngest sister was still born. Her name was Joyce Ann. She was born on Oct. 6, 1964 with her umbibical cord wrapped too tightly around her neck for the doctor to save her in time. We never saw her, nor even a picture of her, but my grandparents always told us that she looked very much like me when I was a baby. Some may wonder why I would include a stillborn sister whom I have never known in my "Thankful Thursday" post. It is because her very brief presence in our lives touched us and changed us all. Losing her was a great catalyst in my Dad becoming a born-again Christian, which impacted our lives so greatly. So, I'm thankful for Joyce and that I will get to know her when I reach heaven.


My Family

Diane, Charlotte and Debra

Momma and Daddy

December 17, 2004










7 comments:

Deb said...

Diane, I wanted to comment on your post from Monday --but wasn't sure you'd read it since it's Thursday already. (I'm lost in that brain fog, remember?)

I wanted to say that while I in no way can begin to comprehend your feelings, I think I understand just a little. You have described exactly what my Mom described whenever my Dad went home to be with the Lord. There were days that seemed a little bit normal...and then days that were she didn't have the energy to breathe.

Please know that I am praying for you!! And take comfort in knowing that this time here is so very short...we'll all be rejoicing together in heaven soon!

hugs!!!

Deb said...

....and now have read all your posts since then...and am sitting here at work in the laboratory - crying. I guess I need to get a grip before my daylight crew comes in and finds me all teary-eyed! Your blog has touched my heart this morning. I am moved at the love you share with your family, saddened by the loss of your precious Terry and your sister, Joyce...and through it all, rejoicing at how the Lord took what the enemy meant for harm and turned it into good. The fact that Joyce's death was so instrumental in your father getting saved...and starting a legacy for Christ --it's just like Jesus, isn't it?--to turn things around. I'm thinking that He has plans to use Terry's homecoming to point others to Him as well. Just you wait and see!

hugs!!

Constance said...

Good Morning from Texas or should that be a Big Howdy?

When the trials come and we feel overwhelmed, it amazes me after we have passed through them and get to look back. Losing your baby sister brought your Daddy to the Lord and impacted your family. Did God make her die? Certainly not! He used soething awful and made it beautiful!

When my 2nd marriage ended, I was crushed and had suicidal thoughts even. Had "EX" have never left me and the girls I would never have met my precious husband Dave! At the time we might wonder how God can use something like that for good, even better in our lives. The older I get the more I hear God ask me,
"But do you trust ME?"
Connie

Terry said...

Dear Dianne,
Deb and Connie are right.
Joyce's coming into this world was a blessing.
She was the miracle that your Dad needed for pointing him to the Lord.
When I read down these "biography" pages about your family, you can see the results to the third generating of the example that your Christian parents were to the family.
Just wait till Miss Patty sees these pictures.
She will love just them!....Love Teresa

The Raggedy Girl said...

Diane:

What a sweet post and as a Pennie I thank you for all the love and care you extend to me. I loved seeing your sisters and reading about your family. You are a wonderful friend.

Have a Thankful Thursday
from Roberta Anne

Pat said...

Terry's right, as usual! I love all these pictures. It really helps me to put faces with names and I feel closer and more familiar to your beautiful family.
I also love how you freely share your love. Your a special lady!

Sweetie said...

Diane - Of course Joyce should be counted. She is your sister and her birth caused something good to happen. Aren't sisters wonderful? I have only one and don't know what I would do without her.
Sweetie