Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Music of My Life



Have you ever sat late into the wee hours of the morning, unable to sleep, and found yourself watching infomercials? Well, I did last night.

I was paying bills, balancing bank accounts, etc. and noticed some sort of CD being sold with utmost persuasion on the T.V. Turns out it's a set of CD's of romance songs from the 70's. Now, that's our time.........the time when I met Terry, when we grew to know and love each other, when we were married and started a lifelong journey together.

As I listened to the songs replaying in my living room, I began to replay images of us during those first years together. I listened and remembered and laughed and cried and cried some more, thinking this is the music of my life.

The first time ever I saw your face..............that Saturday afternoon when Terry knocked on our front door and I answered. I was blown over by this gorgeous man standing there smiling down at me! A smile that lit up the sunshine! Eyes that penetrated the depths of my heart before we even said hello.

My eyes adored you.................our first date, a double date with our mutual friend who was dating his friend and who had suggested he call me. We ditched them as soon as we could! We talked for hours about anything and everything under the sun! He opened my doors for me, he held my chair, he placed his hand to the small of my back as he walked me from car to restaurant and back, the perfect gentleman.

If a picture paints a thousand words then why can't I paint you..................a summer of young love, of discovery, of finding who you are so you can know who he is. Barely aware of myself as a teenager, yet already thinking of myself as a woman married to this wonderful man whom the Lord had brought to our front door.

You are so beautiful to me................nothing he did or said was wrong in my eyes. He treated me with respect and he wanted to be with me just as much as I wanted to be with him.

Stuck on you...................oh, absolutely! Stuck and never, ever want to be separated!

And they called it Puppy Love...........yep, that's what Momma called it, said I was too young to know anything about real love and what it took to make it last. Guess we proved them wrong, huh baby!

If I could save time in a bottle..................oh, if only! At that tender age, I never knew how much those lyrics would come to mean to us over the years. How we would savor the minutes and grasp them tightly so as to never forget the time God had given us together!

Lady in red............Terry's favorite song after we had been together for a while. Said it always made think of me, always made him want to drop everything and come to me.

The first time ever I saw your face..................a memory only shared by the two of us. No pictures, no movies, just two people searching for something who finally found it in the face looking back at them at our front door on that Saturday afternoon so very long ago. A snapshot held only in my mind's eye, but still as clear as in that incredible moment when first our eyes met.

The music of my life, my love.

6 comments:

Constance said...

Diane, I can SO relate to your post! I thought I loved music, until I met Dave! When we first started spending time together, we'd sit around and play scrabble, listening to his cassette tapes that he had made. I knew I was "in" when he gave me a tape of songs he had reorded from albums that made him think of me. I have listened to that tape more in the last month while I've been scrapbooking than I have in years! He even made me a cassette tape of songs to "labor & delivery" by when I was pregnant with our daughter Laura.

It's funny how music takes us to another place in our lives. There's such a strong connection to our memories! Our kids have told us how they might be in a store and a certain song will come on. They'd immediately be reminded of driving on vacation because it would be a song they remember coming out of the tape deck.

I think of where you are in your life and it makes me somber. I know that it's always a possibility that I could find myself in your shoes and it makes me appreciative of what I have NOW!

It's Sunday morning friend, I am praying for an awesome day today for you!
MUAH,
Connie

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

I love the 70's music . They don't make good music like that anymore.

The Raggedy Girl said...

Diane:

What a beautiful post and I do know about music. There are two songs that take me back.

Roberta Anne

Samantha said...

Diane,
Your blog touched my heart, it was
so beautifully wrote, it was a blessing to read, God bless you and thank you for sharing !
LOVE YOU !

Terry said...

Just so beautiful Diane!

Deb said...

Those songs are all most excellent! And the memories that you have in your heart will live on forever... Terry sounds like he was one awesome beau!

Thinking of you and praying for you as you hold all those memories close to your heart. I can't even imagine how you must miss your dear husband.

sending a hug your way!